Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Houndstooth Dress - In the Making

Hey!

     Keeping up with my current obsession with houndstooth, I am making a houndstooth dress. I have made 2 muslins, cut out the fabric, and overcast the edges.


The lining I chose to go with it is a hot pink polyester silky satin, I think. I thought the classic hot pink/black/white color combination would look great with this dress

Overcasting this fabric was simpler than I thought it would be. It frayed A LOT, but thankfully the overcasting did its job without any difficulties.

I am using the Vogue 8615 pattern


I loved the vintagy feel of this dress! The V-shaped back was very elegant but its not too low that its unmodest because we all know... Modest is Hottest! :D

     This dress pattern has the A,B,C, and D cup options and for my first muslin I cut out a 10, grading to a 12 at the waist with the A cup. This was too small and just had many difficulties. So, for my second muslin, I decided to just give myself a lot of extra room and cut a 14 (still with the A cup) which fit perfectly fine. Perhaps a smidge big but, I do need room to breathe!

     Like I mentioned before I am taking a trip to the east coast in April and this is another outfit I am taking. One of the tours I am going on requires us to dress nicely and of course I wanted to make the dress! I followed the fabric choices of the drawing because I just thought the houndstooth really was perfect for this dress and it worked out perfectly! The fabric is thicker so it will keep me somewhat warm!

     I will keep updating about this project, I am super excited about it! Not to toot my own horn but I know it will look amazing in the end, but I am fearing my least favorite part of all sewing : THE HEM!!eek!!

No comments: