Saturday, January 8, 2011

Houndstooth Pullover


     I recently made this pullover sweatshirt or sweater, whatever you would like to call it. My current obsession is houndstooth and I saw this material at Jo Anns fabric a while ago and instantly knew what I wanted to make with it. In the photo, which I had to take with my phone so I apoligize for the crappy quality, the fabric looks more like an orangy/poopy pink and black but, its actually bright magentaish pink and black. I was so excited to make it, it was my first project that I got to make with my new sewing machine that was a Christmas gift.
     I used the pattern McCalls 4261 jacket A. The jacket was a zip-up hoodie so I obviously made some adjustments. First, I cut the front piece on the fold. I didn't, however, take out the extra fabric allowed to put the zipper in, thinking it would just be a little bit of extra room. Pullovers are suppoed to be roomy anyways. What I didn't realize was that would create a slightly drooping neckline. It looked like a small cowl. This was taken care of by simply bringing it in about an inch on the neckline. Speaking of the neckline, I lowered it to more of a boat neck, also. Then, I cut out 2 15in. by 2in rectangles and added it to the neckline to finish it. I also added 2 1/2 inches to the hem. I had made this jacket before and it was short so I knew I needed to add this.
     One thing that I had been wanting to add to my clothes are labels. As much as I wanted beautiful embroidered labels, I looked up where to buy them online and they were pretty expensive. I thought this was the perfect item to start adding labels to my clothes because I couldn't tell which side was the front and which side was the back! I just needed a quick label so I took an extra piece of knit fabric (I didn't want to have to fold the sides under so I chose a fabric that didn't fray) and cut a rectangle and wrote in black sharpie "KAYLA ROSE" it was the most sophisticated thing I could make :). I was quite proud of it.
 

So, what are your current fabric obsessions?

No comments: